1. Know yourself: Know your area of expertise, what are your strengths and what are your weaknesses.
2. Know the program from which you seek support: You are responsible for finding the appropriate program for support of your research.
3. Read the program announcement: Programs and special activities have specific goals and specific requirements.
4. Formulate an appropriate research objective.
5. Develop a viable research plan.
6. State your research objective clearly in your proposal: A good research proposal includes a clear statement of the research objective.
7. Frame your project around the work of others
8. Grammar and spelling count.
9. Format and brevity are important.
10. Know the review process.
11. Proofread your proposal before it is sent.
12. Submit your proposal on time.